Skip to main content

Day Three and Four


Today I went to Hever Castle (as shown above). The gatehouse, walls and moat were built in 1270. At the end of the 15Th century the castle was bought by the father of Anne Boleyn, later to marry King Henry V111, and a Tudor interior was added. This increased the living area and greatly improved comfort. Over the next four centuries the castle was occupied but started to decay. In 1903 it was bought and restored by W W Astor, reputed to be the richest man in America. He added a mock Tudor village behind the castle to accommodate visitors and created a large ornamental lake surrounded by beautiful gardens. To see this place and hear about the people who have lived in it always makes me think that there is no difference between live then and life now.

Yesterday my group and I went to the Canterbury Cathedral (middle), the White Cliffs of Dover (left), and saw (just in passing) Dover Castle (right). My group and I spent so much time in Canterbury that by the time that we go to Dover we were all out of steam. We ended up just getting a taxi to take us to the cliffs and the castle. We were going to go through the castle because of the tunnels that are underneath but we found out that it takes three hours to go through the whole thing and we were too tired for that. I did learn however that (If you don't want to know this skip down to the picture below) the first tunnels under Dover Castle were constructed in the Middle Ages to provide a protected line of communication for the soldiers manning the northern outworks and to allow the garrison to gather unseen before launching a surprise attack. During the Napoleonic Wars, this system of tunnels was greatly expanded to fortify the Castle in readiness for a French invasion. Seven tunnels (running with damp and prone to collapse) were dug as barracks for the soldiers and officers who were filling both castle and town to overflowing. These were capable of accommodating up to 2,000 troops. They are the only underground barracks ever built in Britain.
In May 1940, as France fell before the German advance, the tunnels became the nerve centre for 'Operation Dynamo' - the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) and French troops from Dunkirk's beaches. Admiral Ramsay and his staff worked round the clock for nine days. On 26 May some 400,000 troops were awaiting rescue on the beaches of Dunkirk. The best estimate was that only 45,000 could be brought back. Yet, by 4 June, nearly all were evacuated. In total, 338,000 men came back: the BEF and 139,000 French soldiers.
In the Cold War the tunnels were further expanded to form a Regional Centre of Government in the event of nuclear war. With the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 the need for this facility decreased and in the early 1990s it was decommissioned and areas of the tunnels opened to the public.

That night we all went out to dinner at The Lamb Inn in Wartling. The food was wonderful as well was the company. After that however I was so tired that I almost fell asleep in my cloths. That will teach me to have too much fun!

Comments

Kateenie said…
Goll, Eliza. You are definitely on an amazing adventure! Keep enjoying it. I can't wait to hear stories when you return.
the Poffster said…
That's way fun! I hope you took lots of pictures...because you know you'll have to share :)
Annie said…
It looks like you're having a great time in England- which is good. I just saw the OTH preview for sept. 1 and almost peed my pants. Have you seen it? Anyway - let me know when you're back in sg.

Popular posts from this blog

Insanity

So this was a big week. For the first time in a long time I have felt the overwhelming need to cry. As always I am unaware of the way that people can see what is going on with me even when I think that I doing a good job of hiding it from everyone. I am an RA (Resident Advisor) at Dixie. This week I was given the task to work with another RA to make flyer's for a sports activity that was coming up. Usually I am the one who makes sure that everything that needs to go on the fl yer is on and is correct. The other RA usually does all the "Flash". Well this week I had over 28 hours of work to do. Because of all of the homework that I had to do I did not check the fl yer that had been done and let the other RA do what ever he wanted and trusted that the information would be correct. A few days later it was the day before all of my assignments were due and I was freaking out. I also had to go to my RA meeting. At these meeting my RM (Resident Manager) has personal meetings with

A Text

Ok so I have to say that nothing happened and I only put this up because it was just such an interesting conversation to have so laugh. whats up? When are we going to make out? 10:59 pm elaisa are you there? 11:31 pm driving to where? 1:19 am so where are you now? 1:24 am doing what? 1:26 am but what are you doing in idaho? 1:28 am when are you coming back? 1:30 am are you going to stgeorge or orem? 1:33 am when are you coming for break? 1:35am so youre not coming back until december? 1:39 am so when are we going to make out? 1:41 am ok called me saturday when you get here so we can make out while watching a scary movie in my room just like we did at the cayonlands! (we never made out) 1:47 am Are we satching a movie tomorrow and make out? 11:08 pm yea lets watch a movie! i know we never made out, but lets make out this time! We almost did it at the cayonlands, so lets just do it this time! 6:52 am everybody makes out even hard core mormons. Plus its cold so we need to cuddle and watc

A Day Out