Skip to main content

Work in Progress 4

I knew that this facade was too much to be true. This was that time when she would ask for my qualifications and tell me that she would be watching me (no doubt waiting to pull her son out of my class for my incompetence).

“I assure you that your son will receive the best education in my class.”

“Oh yes, I am not worried about that at all.” She saw the brief flash of incredulity. “Can I ask how much you know about my family?”

“I’m sorry but I know very little about your family. I don’t pay much attention to what happens out side of my classroom and my students.” Now she had to change the look of wonder. I was surprised when that look turned into one of almost glee. “I’m sorry. I …”

“No, No. Please don’t apologize. It is so nice to finally meet someone who has not heard about every little detail of my life whether true or not.” She suppressed a little chuckle. I sat in silence waiting for her to continue.

“I actually came to talk to you about my son. His father, my husband, died one year ago this past August. Alex took Williams death every hard.”

“I’m so sorry. May I ask how it happened?” I did not expect an answer but was glad when she looked at me willingly.

“William had a sudden stroke. It was such a shock. Alex was in the house at the same time it happened but thankfully he did not see it happen. A maid came in to clean the room and found him.” There was no strain in her voice. She spoke with calm acceptance. I could only imagine that it was from having to be strong for her son and I felt a sudden rush of pride to be sitting with such a strong woman.

“I am so sorry. How is Alex doing now?” I was now truly interested in the life of this little boy who had to live with all of this wile being in the public eye.

“He is doing much better. At first I kept him at home because I thought it would be too hard for him to be around the questioning eyes of other people. Now I see that I might have been just keeping him home because I was not ready to let him go.” Her eyes were unfocused now like she was looking at something that was too far for me to see. It was a long time before she seemed to realize my presence again. She gave her head an infinitesimal shake; bring her back to the present.

“My husband was a good man with many responsibilities. I have taken over many of those responsibilities because Williams’s brother was not yet able to. James was William’s brother and they were very close. James has become like a second father to Alex. They adore each other. Sadly now that James has taken over for his father he and Alex have not been able to be together as much.”

I did not speak. I was not getting much information that would impact my teaching greatly but I felt that she was not speaking for my benefit as much as she was speaking for her own. I guessed that it had been a long time since she had met anyone who did not already know these things and that would listen to what she had to say. I would let her say what ever she needed to so that she could be comfortable with her son in my class.

“With James gone so much now I thought that it was time for Alex to be with people his own age. You were the teacher that I found.” Another incredulous look glittered past my face. “Oh yes, I did my research. You are a fairly new teacher but I have talked to some parents of your past students and they all said how wonderfully sensitive you were to their children. That is why I made sure that my son was in your class. I knew that you would look at him and not judge him on what other people say.”

“Thank you. I am flattered. From what you have told me about your son I know that he will do well in this environment.” I hoped that wile I said this that I was not blushing but I could feel my face burn with the blood that was rushing to it.

Mrs. Bren smiled. She apparently was pleased with how I took her complements. “James might come and pick up Alex every once in a wile. It is something that they both look forward to. Will that be a problem?”

“No, no problem. I would appreciate meeting him. I always make sure that my students are being picked up by someone familiar. Their safety is a priority of mine.”

“Certainly. I will have James introduce himself. Alex, clean up please. It’s time to go.” She smiled as she got to her feet.

“Say thank you to Miss Marz.”

“Thank you Miss Marz. See you tomorrow.” We waved at each other and smiled. I knew that Alex and I would be good friends but I could also tell that this would be a kid that I would do anything for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insanity

So this was a big week. For the first time in a long time I have felt the overwhelming need to cry. As always I am unaware of the way that people can see what is going on with me even when I think that I doing a good job of hiding it from everyone. I am an RA (Resident Advisor) at Dixie. This week I was given the task to work with another RA to make flyer's for a sports activity that was coming up. Usually I am the one who makes sure that everything that needs to go on the fl yer is on and is correct. The other RA usually does all the "Flash". Well this week I had over 28 hours of work to do. Because of all of the homework that I had to do I did not check the fl yer that had been done and let the other RA do what ever he wanted and trusted that the information would be correct. A few days later it was the day before all of my assignments were due and I was freaking out. I also had to go to my RA meeting. At these meeting my RM (Resident Manager) has personal meetings with

A Text

Ok so I have to say that nothing happened and I only put this up because it was just such an interesting conversation to have so laugh. whats up? When are we going to make out? 10:59 pm elaisa are you there? 11:31 pm driving to where? 1:19 am so where are you now? 1:24 am doing what? 1:26 am but what are you doing in idaho? 1:28 am when are you coming back? 1:30 am are you going to stgeorge or orem? 1:33 am when are you coming for break? 1:35am so youre not coming back until december? 1:39 am so when are we going to make out? 1:41 am ok called me saturday when you get here so we can make out while watching a scary movie in my room just like we did at the cayonlands! (we never made out) 1:47 am Are we satching a movie tomorrow and make out? 11:08 pm yea lets watch a movie! i know we never made out, but lets make out this time! We almost did it at the cayonlands, so lets just do it this time! 6:52 am everybody makes out even hard core mormons. Plus its cold so we need to cuddle and watc

A Day Out