Skip to main content

CHRISTMAS AND THE GIVING OF GIFTS By Fred Pinnegar

The mythical ethos of Santa Claus is an important part of the Dutch Christmas, transported to the New World in the 18th century by Dutch immigrants to the New York area and popularized by 19th century writers and poets in New York. For example, the familiar “Night Before Christmas” poem (written by C.C. Moore, a professor of Biblical Literature, in New York in 1823) scripts the main features of the holiday by describing the visual appearance, actions, and character of Santa Claus, as well as the appropriate reaction to him. I like Santa Claus. He is an important part of the celebration of Christmas in my family tradition (English, Swedish, Scots), and I won’t allow him to be denigrated in our house.

Perhaps you like to do things differently in your home. There is no one, right way to celebrate Christmas, and we can waste a lot of spiritual and emotional energy worrying about how others keep or don’t keep it. If we wanted to be exacting and snobbish, we LDS wouldn’t do anything at all at this time of year, but save our Christmas spirit for April

The origin of the custom of gift giving at Christmas may be scripturally based in the visits of gift bearers to the recently born Christ child, particularly, the shepherds and the Wise Men from the east, as described in Matthew and Luke. They brought the gifts as a sign of respect and adoration. The gifts the Savior would have us bring to him today are a contrite spirit, broken heart, and willingness to serve.

There are many references in both ancient and modern scripture to various kinds of gifts and to the appropriate giving of them. Some gifts are problematic, as described in Moroni 7: 6-10, 30, or Matthew 12: 35-36. We exchange gifts with everyone with whom we come in contact. Evil people almost instantly give themselves away by the kind of language they want to share with us. I admire what the father of a former ward member said: “I got away from those people because I didn’t like the way they talked.” What is it that makes a gift “evil?” It might be a gift which is grudgingly given, or a gift which is inherently evil or improper in some way, such as knowledge of how to make money withoutworking, dirty stories, or malicious gossip.

In contrast, what are some of the good gifts we can give or receive from others, gifts of empowerment? The work we perform to earn money is a gift to our family. The work we do around the home to make it a place of comfort and joy is a great gift. The time we spend attending to the needs of family and friends. The smile, and the extended hand of friendship and fellowship, as well as goodwill, benefit of doubt, and trust are all gifts that don’t cost much and that we can give and receive all year around, in the true spirit of Christmas, unilaterally, with no expectation of getting anything in return. To me, your presence in my life is always the best present.
Make it a happy season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insanity

So this was a big week. For the first time in a long time I have felt the overwhelming need to cry. As always I am unaware of the way that people can see what is going on with me even when I think that I doing a good job of hiding it from everyone. I am an RA (Resident Advisor) at Dixie. This week I was given the task to work with another RA to make flyer's for a sports activity that was coming up. Usually I am the one who makes sure that everything that needs to go on the fl yer is on and is correct. The other RA usually does all the "Flash". Well this week I had over 28 hours of work to do. Because of all of the homework that I had to do I did not check the fl yer that had been done and let the other RA do what ever he wanted and trusted that the information would be correct. A few days later it was the day before all of my assignments were due and I was freaking out. I also had to go to my RA meeting. At these meeting my RM (Resident Manager) has personal meetings with

A Text

Ok so I have to say that nothing happened and I only put this up because it was just such an interesting conversation to have so laugh. whats up? When are we going to make out? 10:59 pm elaisa are you there? 11:31 pm driving to where? 1:19 am so where are you now? 1:24 am doing what? 1:26 am but what are you doing in idaho? 1:28 am when are you coming back? 1:30 am are you going to stgeorge or orem? 1:33 am when are you coming for break? 1:35am so youre not coming back until december? 1:39 am so when are we going to make out? 1:41 am ok called me saturday when you get here so we can make out while watching a scary movie in my room just like we did at the cayonlands! (we never made out) 1:47 am Are we satching a movie tomorrow and make out? 11:08 pm yea lets watch a movie! i know we never made out, but lets make out this time! We almost did it at the cayonlands, so lets just do it this time! 6:52 am everybody makes out even hard core mormons. Plus its cold so we need to cuddle and watc

A Day Out