Skip to main content

Day in the Life

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Ugh. This is always the hardest part of my day. I twist my body so that I can hit the snooze button on my alarm. I expect my hair to be in my face but instead I have arranged the semi-curly red mass into some kind of ponytail on top of my head sometime in the night. I wish I could just lie in my bed and not face the emptiness that my life has become. “NO” I say almost in anger. My life is not empty. It’s very full with responsibility, work, and what ever the entertainment industry can cook up for me to be interested in. I take a minuet to look at my surroundings before my alarm clock rouses me again. Everything is so dark. It’s only six in the morning and I am glad that the sun hasn’t come up yet. With the sun always comes the day to day things that you must do like trash, dishes, and people. Not like the few minuets before the sun when things still seem possible and the world seems magical. I can feel my room with all of its clutter resembling a real life as I stay in the same obstinate position in my bed.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

My over sized tee-shirt bunched around me reminds me that the time has come and I can’t ignore it any longer. I get up and my feet touch the old carpet like it has needles on each strand. I make my way to the bathroom to start my routine without thinking. I left my consciousness in my room. When I am finally done I to go to my bedroom window; even through the blinds I can see that it is going to be a sunny day but as I open them fully I see that the hope of clouds are in the distance. Since I was a child I have always felt that the overcast days are special. It keeps that early morning possibility alive long after the day has started. After ten minuets I look at my clock.

“Shoot”.

I have only ten minuets to get dressed, get something to eat, and get to work. I pull on the first appropriate outfit I see in my closet. Checking my watch I decide all I can have is a tall glass of orange juice. I almost run to my 92’ Mazda Protégé. I still cringe at the single white passenger door that is so obvious against the rest of the turquoise exterior.

The good thing about my car is that it has speed. I got to work before anyone else. I am a grade one teacher at the Leavitt school in Seattle. I have been teaching for only two years. I still look at my name plate that makes me feel official that says:

Teacher
Eliza Marz

I walk into my small but comfortable classroom. It is one of those great classrooms that as an adult you always remember because everything on the walls were things that you had done; so the class felt like it belonged to you. I keep to myself for the most part so it wasn’t until lunch when I got to talk to my best friend Adam who teaches in one of the fourth grade classes. Adam is one of those people who baffles people because he is still single. Adam and I first meet on my first day of training at the school. He was there but I didn’t realize until later that he was their to train me and was not one of the newbies. He was so nice asking me all about myself. He took a real interest. He asked me out on a date a few times but after we both realized that were better friends and so we became the best

Comments

Kateenie said…
I quite enjoy it. Keep it coming.
Eliza my dear you fasinate me. I love that you make things that may seem mundane into the most interesting thought-provoking idea. I love it and it make me want to hear you write a book or something of that nature.
Marz, what's with Marz? Has the Pinnegar simply vanished or morphed into something foreign?

Popular posts from this blog

Insanity

So this was a big week. For the first time in a long time I have felt the overwhelming need to cry. As always I am unaware of the way that people can see what is going on with me even when I think that I doing a good job of hiding it from everyone. I am an RA (Resident Advisor) at Dixie. This week I was given the task to work with another RA to make flyer's for a sports activity that was coming up. Usually I am the one who makes sure that everything that needs to go on the fl yer is on and is correct. The other RA usually does all the "Flash". Well this week I had over 28 hours of work to do. Because of all of the homework that I had to do I did not check the fl yer that had been done and let the other RA do what ever he wanted and trusted that the information would be correct. A few days later it was the day before all of my assignments were due and I was freaking out. I also had to go to my RA meeting. At these meeting my RM (Resident Manager) has personal meetings with

A Text

Ok so I have to say that nothing happened and I only put this up because it was just such an interesting conversation to have so laugh. whats up? When are we going to make out? 10:59 pm elaisa are you there? 11:31 pm driving to where? 1:19 am so where are you now? 1:24 am doing what? 1:26 am but what are you doing in idaho? 1:28 am when are you coming back? 1:30 am are you going to stgeorge or orem? 1:33 am when are you coming for break? 1:35am so youre not coming back until december? 1:39 am so when are we going to make out? 1:41 am ok called me saturday when you get here so we can make out while watching a scary movie in my room just like we did at the cayonlands! (we never made out) 1:47 am Are we satching a movie tomorrow and make out? 11:08 pm yea lets watch a movie! i know we never made out, but lets make out this time! We almost did it at the cayonlands, so lets just do it this time! 6:52 am everybody makes out even hard core mormons. Plus its cold so we need to cuddle and watc

A Day Out