Skip to main content

A Work in Progress

Preface

All my life I have been one of those people obsessed with order. Even when life doesn’t have any order I must find the pattern in it. This has never been truer in my life then in two areas: food and relationships.

In the food area I am not that unique from other people. Each culinary celebration must go in the order that they were intended. First there is breakfast. This has always been a hard area for me as I have never been big on breakfast foods. I don’t like eggs or bacon or even pop tarts. They have just never been things that I want to start out my day eating. When I do find something that I want to eat that is a breakfast food I get overjoyed for it is rare. Next is lunch. This above every other eating occasion is my favorite because it has the least restrictions. It seems the world is open to me. Not just the world of food but every part of life seems accessible at lunch. Obligation. That is what fills dinner. When you have dinner alone (of which I do often) you always feel as though you should be having it with someone, anyone, as long as you are not by yourself. On the other end if you do eat with someone there seems to be all of these unspoken rules of what dinner should be. No matter who you eat with people expect for dinner to be this wonderful wrap-up to the day or the beginning of something wonderful. I like eating dinner alone so it can be neither of these things and I won’t feel guilty about it.

Just as I must have meals in a sequential order so must all of my relationships. It doesn’t matter what kind of relationship it is, as long as it ends in “ship” it has a line of order that must not be tempered with. I found this out when my friend Paul told me; with all of our other friends around, that one day he was going to marry me. Even in fourth grade I knew that this was not the logical order that this should go in. Not that I was opposed to the idea, I just wanted it to follow the script that I had built up from hearing love stories and watching romantic comedies with my mom. Many other relationships followed after but all of the plutonic kind. Through out high school and college I convinced myself that it was good that I didn’t date because it would be too hard for someone to follow my insane need for order. People these days were fast and I liked things to go slower. I filled my time with other things to help me not think about what I was missing out on.

My continued diversions worked for a long time. I found out how good I was at keeping the order even when it meant that I had to give up certain human emotions and run on auto-pilot. Surly this was an ok way to go through life. I had gotten my life in good order by the time I was twenty one. I didn’t smoke or drink so I never had to worry about how that could disrupt my life. I got through school with little problem. Once I was out I went to work and came home. Occasionally I would go out with friends but mostly they were all busy with family stuff and so meetings had to be strictly scheduled which I always liked.

All of this worked really well for me to distract from the relationships that I was not having…until one day I could be distracted no longer.

Comments

Kateenie said…
You can't stop there! I want MORE!
Deneille said…
Ooh tell me more!!!
the Poffster said…
I really like the beginning.... I can't wait to read what happens next. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Insanity

So this was a big week. For the first time in a long time I have felt the overwhelming need to cry. As always I am unaware of the way that people can see what is going on with me even when I think that I doing a good job of hiding it from everyone. I am an RA (Resident Advisor) at Dixie. This week I was given the task to work with another RA to make flyer's for a sports activity that was coming up. Usually I am the one who makes sure that everything that needs to go on the fl yer is on and is correct. The other RA usually does all the "Flash". Well this week I had over 28 hours of work to do. Because of all of the homework that I had to do I did not check the fl yer that had been done and let the other RA do what ever he wanted and trusted that the information would be correct. A few days later it was the day before all of my assignments were due and I was freaking out. I also had to go to my RA meeting. At these meeting my RM (Resident Manager) has personal meetings with

A Text

Ok so I have to say that nothing happened and I only put this up because it was just such an interesting conversation to have so laugh. whats up? When are we going to make out? 10:59 pm elaisa are you there? 11:31 pm driving to where? 1:19 am so where are you now? 1:24 am doing what? 1:26 am but what are you doing in idaho? 1:28 am when are you coming back? 1:30 am are you going to stgeorge or orem? 1:33 am when are you coming for break? 1:35am so youre not coming back until december? 1:39 am so when are we going to make out? 1:41 am ok called me saturday when you get here so we can make out while watching a scary movie in my room just like we did at the cayonlands! (we never made out) 1:47 am Are we satching a movie tomorrow and make out? 11:08 pm yea lets watch a movie! i know we never made out, but lets make out this time! We almost did it at the cayonlands, so lets just do it this time! 6:52 am everybody makes out even hard core mormons. Plus its cold so we need to cuddle and watc

A Day Out